Hekima University College has the following scholarship opportunities:-
1) HILTON-HEKIMA SISTERS SCHOLARS PROGRAMME (HHSSP): ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING THEOLOGY PROGRAMME FOR CATHOLIC SISTERS ACROSS AFRICA
Hekima offers an online distance learning theology programme for Catholic Sisters across Africa (all sessions will be virtual via zoom).
It is an introduction to theology course for the spiritual and human development of the participants – particularly Sisters of the various religious congregations across Africa.
The purpose of the programme is to help participants grow in their vocation and mission through the spiritually and theologically rich courses offered at Hekima University College. The programme will provide opportunity for those enrolled in it to do so in the evenings (after work) or on weekends and in the comfort of their convents.
It is intended to give the participants an understanding of the major areas in theology for spiritual and human formation both for the religious, as a component in preparation for mission or for further studies. It recognizes the interrelatedness of theological education, human maturing, and the universal call to holiness.
The program lasts 1 year. The programme is provided by the Jesuits of Hekima University College, who will coordinate it and oversee the implementation processes in collaboration with Hilton Foundation who will support the programme through grants.
- Completed application form
- Submit statement of motivation: 250-300 words explaining your motivation to take this course.
- Copy of Passport / National Identity Document.
- Copies of secondary and all post-secondary educational certificates where applicable. If you are not a major superior: a letter from your major religious superior, missioning you to take this course for a maximum duration of one years and demonstrating that you have the full support of the superior for the duration of this course
- Submit application and required documents not late than 10 August 2021 (10 August 2021 is the deadline for 2021/2022 intake).
- Ready to participate in a monitoring and evaluation process during studies and after completion of the course.
- Applicant has a computer equipped for video-conferencing (webcam, mic, speakers) and access to internet.
2) ST. IGNATIUS SCHOLARSHIP FOR WOMEN THEOLOGIANS
- The courses under this scholarship are offered in Hekima University College – Nairobi.
- Only those who have already secured admission at Hekima University College by fulfilling the requirements for admission will be considered for Scholarship.
- For students who intend to apply for scholarship, under the requirements to fulfil certain financial obligations in the HUC Admission Form, indicate that you are applying for St. Ignatius scholarship.
- For prospective applicants without two years of undergraduate philosophical studies, Hekima University College offers the necessary Philosophical units required to pursue Theological Studies. Therefore, lack of two years of undergraduate philosophical studies may not be a hindrance to making an application.
- Application Form for scholarship is separate from the HUC Admission Form. It will be sent to prospective applicants on request. Both forms: HUC Admission Form and Application Form for Scholarship can be submitted together or at different dates as long as the applicant is within the application timeline. To receive Application Form for Scholarship, send your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach HUC admission letter to this request.
NB: The first priority is to be accepted as a student at Hekima, and then the scholarship and grants committee will consider all the scholarship applications and let you know as soon as possible whether you have been awarded the scholarship.
COURSES ON OFFER UNDER THE GRANT: ST. IGNATIUS SCHOLARSHIP FOR WOMEN THEOLOGIAN
Admission requirements are found online in HUC website. To view the admission requirements online go to: http://www.hekima.ac.ke/admission/admissionrequirements
FOR ANY QUERIES PLEASE CONTACT US USING THE DETAILS BELOW
Mobile: +254 722 201288
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Intake application deadline is 10th August 2021
3) DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR AFRICAN WOMEN THEOLOGIANS
The doctoral programme can be pursued in any University within Africa. The money will be sent to the University where the student is enrolled once the student has secured admission and fulfilled the requirement for receiving the scholarship.
REQUIREMENTS FOR RECEIVING THE DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP
Prospective beneficiaries of this programme need to exhibit exceptional potential of taking up leadership in their local Church and academic environment once they complete their doctorates.
For the awarding of the scholarship, preference will be given to students studying in ecclesiastical universities or faculties. They will receive funding support disbursed on annual basis upon reception of the fees structure from their respective Institutions. The funding will include tuition, research, publishing and subsistence.
It is expected that there be significant buy-in and local contribution from the religious congregations of Sisters, and the families of lay women to ensure the scholars receive maximum support to allow them to complete their programme without interruption.
Upon completion of the programme, the Doctors are expected to commit themselves to working as influential agents in academia, in either universities or in seminaries, or at the national pastoral level.
In their respective countries, the graduates are encouraged to take a special responsibility in leadership for assisting women students to advance in theological learning.
Application Form for scholarship will be sent to prospective applicants on request upon submission of admission letter from the University that has accepted for studies. To receive the Application Form for Scholarship, send your request to: email@example.com
This application should be submitted together with the documents listed below which are also numerated in the Application Form:
- Application form duly completed with a recent passport size photograph attached (in case of online application) or glued in provided space (in case of hard copy).
- Copy of your birth certificate, national identity card or passport clearly showing your surname and first name(s).
- Curriculum vitae or resume including a description of responsibilities/functions you have had to date.
- Certified copies of certificates, diplomas and academic degree certificates of courses attended and Transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation and personal statement of applicant.
- A copy of a letter of admission/proof of an application in process.
- A copy of the fee structure from the desired institution of study.
Eligible applicants for the scholarship:
- be leading theological thinkers in the context of their own local church
- aim to make the voice of women theologians heard in the continent
- submit their application and details by 31st July 2021
- undergo a rigorous selection procedure
- begin their studies in August/September 2021
- have completed a MTh or STL in the past five years, with a B+ (upper second-class) pass
- be a first-time doctoral student
- be under the age of fifty years
- study full time
- study towards a PhD in any branch of Catholic theology
- meet all the admission criteria for, and have been admitted to, study full-time in a leading African university or theological faculty of her choice
- complete the PhD within five years
- ready to complete a course in child protection within the duration of the doctoral studies
- have the full support (in writing) of her superior for the duration of her studies
- bind herself to teaching in an academic post in a Catholic institution in Africa for five years after graduating
- ready to participate in a monitoring and evaluation process during studies and after graduation