HEKIMA UNIVERSITY COLLEGE - JESUIT CENTRE FOR CHILD SAFEGUARDING IN AFRICA (JCSA)
Hekima University College, a Constituent College of the Catholic University of Eastern Africa invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for:
Position: Research and Support Officer
Responsible to: Centre Coordinator/Director
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The goal of JCSA is to promote scholarship and advocacy for child protection and safeguarding within the church in Africa. It is established in line with the call by Pope Francis to the church to promote safeguarding of children through ‘a continuous and profound conversion of hearts…, attested by concrete and effective actions that involve everyone in the Church, so that personal sanctity and moral commitment can contribute to promoting the full credibility of the Gospel message and the effectiveness of the Church’s mission’ (2019 motu proprio “VOS ESTIS LUX MUNDI”).
KEY MANDATES OF THE CENTRE:
1. Leading advocacy efforts for child protection and safeguarding by raising the profile of safeguarding within the church.
2. Promoting development of policies and safe practices in child protection and safeguarding.
3. Teaching through online and on-campus modes, a non-degree certificate course in child protection and safeguarding aimed at both lay and religious personnel.
4. Conducting and publishing evidence-based research to inform relevant policies on child protection and safeguarding.
5. Developing and leading safeguarding audits for the Jesuits Conference of Africa and Madagascar.
- Conducting research, and writing papers, proposals and journal articles.
- Providing support to students and other colleagues.
- Participating in training opportunities and initiatives at the centre.
- Developing curricula and course material that can be used across a number of platforms.
- Assisting the Director in carrying out administrative duties of the centre.
PERSONAL SPECIFICATION/EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, psychology, or any other relevant discipline. (Master’s degree is an added advantage).
- Demonstrated involvement or experience in child protection and safeguarding.
- Previous adult teaching experience.
- Excellent spoken and written English. French language would be an asset.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Adequate IT skills to perform common office operations.
- Willingness to take on multiple tasks as may be needed.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit hard/soft copies of their applications, together with their updated curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates and three letters of recommendation. Please submit the above documentation on or before the 27th August 2021 to:
Human Resource Officer,
Hekima University College,
P. O. Box 21215 -00505, Nairobi.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews for this position.