HEKIMA UNIVERSITY COLLEGE - JESUIT CENTRE FOR CHILD SAFEGUARDING IN AFRICA (JCSA)
Hekima University College, a Constituent College of the Catholic University of Eastern Africa invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for:
Position: Research Coordinator
Responsible to: Centre Director
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
JCSA is a training and research centre under the auspices of the Jesuits Conference of Africa and Madagascar (JCAM), established at Hekima University College in Nairobi to coordinate teaching and research activities in Anglophone and Francophone Africa, (the latter through L’Institut de Théologie de la Compagnie de Jésus [ITCJ]).
The goal of JCSA is to promote scholarship and advocacy for child protection and safeguarding within the church in Africa. It is established in line with the call by Pope Francis on the church to promote ‘a continuous and profound conversion of hearts…, attested by concrete and effective actions that involve everyone in the Church, so that personal sanctity and moral commitment can contribute to promoting the full credibility of the Gospel message and the effectiveness of the Church’s mission’ (2019 motu proprio “VOS ESTIS LUX MUNDI”).
KEY MANDATES OF THE CENTRE:
a. Leading advocacy efforts for child protection and safeguarding by raising the profile of safeguarding within the church.
b. Promoting development of policies and safe practices in child protection and safeguarding.
c. Teaching through online and on-campus modes, a non-degree certificate course in child protection and safeguarding aimed at both lay and religious personnel.
d. Conducting and publishing evidence-based research to inform relevant policies on child protection and safeguarding.
- Leading on the Centre’s research projects, supporting the design of research instruments and research designs, conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis, drafting sections of reports.
- Contributing to dissemination of research findings by writing blogs, briefs, and publications in academic journals and other appropriate outlets.
- Participating in training opportunities and initiatives of the centre.
- Preparing and delivering lectures, tutorials, workshops, and seminars on child protection and safeguarding.
- Developing child protection and safeguarding curricula and course material to be used across a number of teaching platforms.
- Collaborating with colleagues within Hekima University College and ITCJ in pursuit of the tasks above.
- Project management.
- Report writing as may be required.
- Keeping the Director and JCAM Safeguarding Coordinator updated on progress.
- Education - MA or PhD in Social Sciences or related field
- Experience and knowledge of child protection and safeguarding within the Catholic church context
- Minimum of five years of progressive experience in child protection and safeguarding research
- Adult learning and teaching experience in child protection and safeguarding strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment
- Solid project management skills
NB: JCSA is committed to keeping children safe, so our selection process includes background checks which reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Further, our staff are required to abide by the safeguarding policies in place.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit soft copies of their applications, together with their updated curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates and three letters of recommendation. Please submit the above documentation on or before the 30th August 2021 to:
Human Resource Officer,
Hekima University College,
P. O. Box 21215 -00505, Nairobi.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews for this position.